Thursday, June 30, 2022

Dir en grey - Phalaris (2022)

The second I heard the limited edition would have new versions of mazohyst of decadence and ain't afraid to die, I had to preorder it immediately... but anyway, 2022 is now certified a good year because a new Dir en grey album was released.


SITE

01. Schadenfreude
02. 朧
03. The Perfume of Sins
04. 13
05. 現、忘我を喰らう
06. 落ちた事のある空
07. 盲愛に処す
08. 響
09. Eddie
10. 御伽
11. カムイ
(12. mazohyst of decadence)
(13. ain't afraid to die)

The first time I listened to this album, I kept thinking "oh no, this is mixed and mastered even worse than The Insulated World!? How is that possible?!" and struggled to clearly hear anything other than the bass. Don't get me wrong, I love loud bass, but there comes a point where a balance is lost, and instead of making the music heavier, it makes it less heavy. I still feel like The Insulated World is toeing the line, and on Phalaris the line has clearly been crossed. After second listen, it became possible to focus on other things as well, and on every subsequent listen it has been less distracting. Of course, it has to be noted that Toshiya is a great bassist, but still...

The two songs that immediately stood out to me on first listen were The Perfume of Sins and 御伽.

Schadenfreude is a great song, with some really intense and heavy parts, a beautiful chorus, a lush guitar solo, atmospheric breaks... it almost feels like a culmination of their discography, and reaches heights of epicness that most bands can only dream of putting together. It's also a great opening track because it contains basically all the elements that later songs contain, but still leaves enough room for surprises. It's also ten minutes long, and manages to feel like only half that. It may be the overall best song on the album, all things considered. However, because it's the first and followed by and The Perfume of Sins, it's unfortunately forgettable within the context of the album.

is a very memorable and beautiful song, but feels a little out of place on this album, especially between Schadenfreude and The Perfume of Sins. The first time I heard it, when it was released as a single, I had conflicted feelings about it; at first it just felt like a "Ranunculus №2" or a "2020s' 蛍火", in other words immediately enjoyable and goosebumps-inducing, but like something I'd heard a thousand times. The more I listened to it, the clearer it became that thinking of it that way is wrong. I mean, it's not wrong to note whatever similarities to those two songs, but thinking of it as "unoriginal" is expecting Dir en grey to be another band; they have their distinct sound, as varied as it is, and this kind of song is just a part of that sound.

The Perfume of Sins really showcases Shinya's drumming skills, having blast beats, interesting rhythms and delicious fills throughout. It's a very groovy song, with clenching and dredging riffs. It even has strings and might be accurate to call "symphonic metal", at least at parts, which shouldn't be unexpected since they've done symphonic versions of their songs before and have sometimes had strings in some songs since their early days, but it's definitely a nice touch that adds character to this song and at least I was caught off guard by it the first time. This song is like a train coming at you, but instead of getting out of the way, you want to get run over to experience the sheer power. That's what this song makes me think.

For some reason, 13 is the one song on this album that so far I've completely forgotten about every time I listen to the album. That's really weird because it has an epic chorus with Kyo singing like it's the last day, a guitar solo that's short and sweet, and I can't say anything negative about it. Maybe it's because it kinda sounds like a bunch of the songs from The Insulated World thrown in a blender? Well, in any case, it's a really good song. It should be a stand-out track, but maybe it following The Perfume of Sins and being followed by 現、忘我を喰らう is why it's forgettable. I'm sure that after enough listens of the album, and especially the songs by themselves, I won't forget about it anymore.

In some ways 現、忘我を喰らう and 盲愛に処す are reminiscent of the band's early stuff, but I'm not entirely sure why I get that feeling. The riffs are catchy, borderline funky at parts, and both have some interesting vocals. There's a sense of frenzy and urgency in both songs, with erratic pulsation, like electric shocks or something. The fact that 落ちた事のある空 is between them does help them not blend together, but I'll admit these two songs still get mixed up in my head.

When it was released as a single, 落ちた事のある空 was the first Dir en grey release that was truly underwhelming to me; it is a good song with a great chorus, but it feels a bit formulaic. Clearly that isn't the case, as demonstrated by the rest of this album, but that's why it feels even more formulaic in the context of this album. It did grow on me as a single, but the album version is mixed differently... much worse. It's by far the most muffled, ironically because it even has a break made to sound like an old radio (if old radios were 100% bass instead of 100% treble); that would be a very effective buildup, if only the entire song wasn't so muffled... and on the single version, it is effective. The ending hits like a brick. On the album version, well... it doesn't.

On one hand is a very dreamy song, but on the other hand it sounds triumphant. It's reminiscent of some of their previous lush songs like 濤声, Behind a Vacant Image and , and also reminds me of Bottom of the Death Valley a little.

Eddie is fast and aggressive, with more than hints of punk encrusted in groovy metal. I'll probably commit heresy by saying this, but I unironically think a full-blown metalcore breakdown could've fit this song. I know that's not something Dir en grey do, but... I almost expected it the first time I heard this song. It sounds like a fistfight to the death in a back alley.

御伽 is breathtaking. It pushes on with the slow-burning force of a thousand suns, and has a truly gorgeous chorus. If it was any more epic, it would send every listener into a coma.

カムイ sounds like floating across the sky, falling down into the ocean, then floating again, and so on, until at some indeterminate point the floating turns into full-fledged flight. That's just as much because of its structure as some abstract "vibe", since it almost sounds like disjointed pieces put together with a very dry-sounding string motif thrown in to make it feel more coherent and unified, which get more unified as it progresses. On first listen, it was just confusing (and I guess it still is), but with each listen it gets more enjoyable; it might still be confusing, but it's the good kind of confusing.

Now, getting to the second CD of the limited edition...

I daydreamed about a heavier version of mazohyst of decadence for years, and was really excited when I found out they actually recorded one. It's one of those songs that always sends chills down my spine, right from the first note... or the original version does, at least. Maybe it's the added reverb, but the intro doesn't hit the same way. While I wish they had gone the route of "mazohyst of decadence given the full 蜜と唾 treatment", this is more like an abridged re-recording with some added heaviness, and that's not a bad thing. I can imagine it could actually detract from the impact of the song to make it sound too brutal, but I'll admit I almost expected "the full 蜜と唾 treatment" because of how this album sounds.

This version of ain't afraid to die is practically just a re-recording, without any major changes to the song. Imagine if they had done to this song what they did to 蜜と唾, , etc. That would've been hilarious! But I'm pretty sure it's a good thing they didn't, lol. I'm not entirely sure what the point of re-recording it is, but it's a great song, so... yeah. It does feel a bit empty without the choral backing vocals, though.

Enjoyability: 8/10
Relistenability: 9/10
Memorability: 8/10
Coherence: 8/10
Flow: 7/10
Originality: 7/10
Epicness: 8/10
Nutshell: Dir en grey remain at the top, even if this album suffers from being too bottom-heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment